Wednesday, December 23, 2009

When You Don't Live Close To An Aging Parent

What to Do When Your Loved One Needs Long Distance Care
Marian Cremin
The email from my father’s wife in Connecticut was short and direct. “I need help.” My father’s moderate dementia, confusion, and poor ambulation had gotten to the point that he could no longer stay alone. He was at risk of falling, was unable to prepare food for himself, and at times became disoriented.

For years I lived a train ride away from them in NYC. In 2000 I moved with their enthusiastic blessings to start a life with my husband in California. My siblings are settled with jobs and families in the mid- and southeastern US. My father’s wife is fit and healthy but housebound by his needs. She needed respite.

Scenarios like mine play out each and every day in thousands of American’s lives. How do you manage this situation without picking up and moving your family or your parent?

If this scenario sounds familiar, remote caregiving might be the answer. Fortunately, there are now many home care agencies which focus on remote caregiving and taking the burden off families and loved ones of those that need care. Nursing homes and assisted living facilities are not the only options available. Non-medical home care allows your loved ones to live where they want to be... their own home.

Click here for some questions to consider when determining if your loved one needs professional care.

No comments:

Post a Comment